Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, November 5, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1354 - So Long My Sad-Eyed Sinatras - Musical Monday Mix for 1811.05

christina's world wyeth_1948

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1354 - So Long My Sad-Eyed Sinatras - Musical Monday Mix for 1811.05

I put the URL to the You Tube mix in the title above and the video player pod is directly below followed by all the videos individually.

This mix started as just a Rickie Lee Jones selection as I had started listening to her music again lately as it hits all the right notes of happiness, sadness, and blooms into a being panoply of bittersweetness.

RICKIE LEE JONES OFFICIAL SITE

But as I started to collect the Rickie songs I most wanted to share, such as "Pirates (so long lonely avenue)" and "Runaround," You Tube kept showing me other songs, so I added a longtime favorite mainly because it was a video of the original artist and not clips from Thelma and Louise: "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan" by Marianne Faithfull.

But then, the wealth that You Tube gives. WOW! "Goodbye" by Emmylou Harris, a live "Coyote" by Joni Mitchell, a fantastic cut by Fairport Convention and a video that starts with the line: "great songs always seem to have great stories behind them." This line riffs on the poem-song assignment I just gave my students and gives me fodder for next term.

Also, a cover by Rickie of Radiohead's "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and a very cool duet with Lyle Lovett.

There's lots of goodies here. Ani DiFrano, Kate Wolf, Annie Lennox, and tons of great RICKIE LEE.

I have seen Rickie live. And this mix evokes how great that concert was and the concert that almost was when my friend Julie and I missed her at Miller Auditorium in 1983.

Rickie Lee Jones' music has been an important part of my life since the early 1980s.

In 1983, when her third album The Magazine came out, I went to a party and my friend Evar had bought the album. I excused myself, sat down, and devoured it, just listening, reading lyrics. I was in love. But I had already been in love with her for Pirates, which I discovered just before her first, though I had seen her do "Chuck E's In Love" on Saturday Night Live.

It's pretty much a tie between The Magazine and Pirates as my favorite album by Rickie. So close.

Thank you, Rickie Lee Jones. You have given me so much great music as a soundtrack for my whole life. It's a gift that has already given so much, but it keeps giving, still, today and into the future.

Plus, I see that there are two albums since I last paid attention. Yay!!




So Long My Sad-Eyed Sinatras - Musical Monday Mix for 1811.05 - TRACK LIST

[1] Rickie Lee Jones, Pirates (so long lonely avenue)
[2] Rickie Lee Jones - Woody & Dutch on the Slow Train to Peking
[3] Rickie Lee Jones "Runaround" The Magazine (1984)
[4] Rickie Lee Jones - Satellite
[5] Rickie Lee Jones - Horses
[6] Marianne Faithfull -- The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan HD
[7] Rickie Lee Jones - Ghetto of My Mind 
[8] Rickie Lee Jones - Subterranean Homesick Blues
[9] Rickie Lee Jones - Falling Up
[10] EMMYLOU HARRIS - GOODBYE
[11] Joni Mitchell - Coyote (The Last Waltz)
[12] Rickie Lee Jones - 1979 The Last Chance Texaco
[13] Rickie Lee Jones It Must Be Love
[14] Rickie Lee Jones - Only Love Can Break Your Heart
[15] Rickie Lee Jones - The Moon is Made of Gold (Official Video)
[16] Kate Wolf - Green Eyes
[17] Rickie Lee Jones - We Belong Together
[18] Rickie Lee Jones - His Jeweled Floor
[19] Ani DiFranco - Falling Is Like This
[20] Annie Lennox - Don't Let It Bring You Down
[21] Rickie Lee Jones - A Lucky Guy
[22] Lyle Lovett and Rickie Lee Jones - North Dakota (Live)
[23] Rickie Lee Jones - Skeletons (Pirates 1981)
[24] Rickie Lee Jones Chuck E's In Love

"So Long My Sad-Eyed Sinatras" a mix



@diefraunamenshorst
https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/07/26/539509195/rickie-lee-jones-on-the-pirates-who-inspired-pirates-and-returning-to-new-orlean




https://www.sun-sentinel.com/entertainment/music/sf-rickie-lee-jones-fort-lauderdale-20150810-story.html






























https://essentiallypop.com/epop/2019/04/rickie-lee-jones-still-got-those-kicks-with-new-album-out-june-single-lonely-people-out-now/


https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/keith_spera/article_bdfb729c-b59f-11ea-951a-8b4aa65b1922.html


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1811.05 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1220 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: