Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, November 26, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1375 - With this Kiss, I Pass The Key - A Musical Monday Mix for 1811.26


A Sense of Doubt blog post #1375 - With this Kiss, I Pass The Key - A Musical Monday Mix for 1811.26

Welcome the Musical Monday. This the URL link to the YOU TUBE mix.

This one is as much class prep as it is a mix to enjoy.

Here's stuff for my students -- whom I refer to as "Wonderfuls" so when I write to them I write "Greetings Wonderfuls" -- and our class work this week and specifically today, Monday, November 26th as we return from break.

I just conceived of an assignment for my students for class today as we are working on analysis.

I am going to show them the first video, Kate Bush's "This Women's Work" from her 1989 album The Sensual World as first featured in the 1988 John Hughes film She's Having a Baby.

I am going to ask them to watch the video (take notes) and examine the lyrics, and then compare the content of "This Woman's Work" to the line from Kate Bush's "Houdini" from the 1984 album The Dreaming: "With this kiss, I pass the key" after I explain the background to them about Houdini's life and what that image means.

HOUDINI BACKGROUND: To drum up sales for his touring magic shows, Harry Houdini would always offer to be locked up in cities where he was performing. Sometimes in jail cells, some times in crates dropped in rivers (in all temperatures), manacled with hand cuffs. chains, locked mail bags, strait jackets, and more, Houdini would escape from them all. To get out of strait jackets, he could dislocate his shoulder. He could keep lock picks deep in his throat without swallowing, so he could go "ahhh" and have his mouth and tonsils inspected and vouched clear, and then he could pick any lock.

In one city, a clever locksmith made a pair of handcuffs that could not be opened with a key or with lock picks. Once locked on anyone's wrists, they could not be taken off. Houdini had to be sawed out of them. After this incident and damage to his credibility and claims to be able to escape from anything, he insisted that all locks be shown to operate with keys before he would agree to be locked in them. As a measure of trust, his wife would hold the keys.

Houdini was usually locked up naked or mostly naked. Before he was shut away in a locked box or bag or jail cell, he and his wife would kiss: "for good luck." Houdini's wife would always pass him at least one key with this kiss. Since he had already been inspected, this key pass would go undetected. After escaping, he would slip the key back to his wife before the keys were returned to the owners of the locks.

Hence, Bush's picture for The Dreaming and the line from the song "Houdini": "With this kiss, I pass the key."

I am giving Kate Bush background in class, but the link to the juxtaposition of the "Don't Give Up" sign at Lower Columbia College and the Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush video "Don't Give Up" is here:

https://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/11/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-1132.html

And so it goes.

And yes, this is a Kate Bush mix without "Wuthering Heights" as I am saving that for another mix.



"This Woman's Work" - Kate Bush

Pray God you can cope / I stand outside this woman's work / This woman's world
Ooh, it's hard on the man/ Now his part is over / Now starts the craft of the father
I know you've got a little life in you yet/ I know you've got a lot of strength left
I know you've got a little life in you yet/ I know you've got a lot of strength left
I should be crying, but I just can't let it show / I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking
Of all the things I should've said/ That I never said/
All the things we should've done/ Though we never did
All the things I should've given/ But I didn't
Oh, darling, make it go/ Make it go away

Give me these moments back/ Give them back to me/ Give me that little kiss
Give me your hand/ I should be crying, but I just can't let it show /
I should be hoping, but I can't stop thinking /Of all the things we should've said
That we never said/ All the things we should've done/ Though we never did
All the things that you needed from me/ All the things that you wanted for me
All the things that I should've given/ But I didn't
Oh, darling, make it go away/ Just make it go away now

Songwriters: Kate Bush
This Woman's Work lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC


" With this Kiss, I Pass The Key..."




The line is actually "With this kiss, I'd pass the key" - I'd as in I would

"Houdini"
by Kate Bush

I wait at the table,
And hold hands with weeping strangers
Wait for you to join the group

The tambourine jingle-jangles
The medium roams and rambles
Not taken in, I break the circle

I want this man
To go away now

With a kiss
I'd pass the key
And feel your tongue
Teasing and receiving.
With your spit
Still on my lip
You hit the water
Him and I in the room
To prove you are with us too

He's using code that only you and I know
This is no trick of his
This is your magic

I'd catch the cues
Watching you
Hoping you'd do something wrong

Everybody thinks you'll never make it
But every time you escape

'Rosabel believe,
Not even eternity
Can hold Houdini!'

"Rosabel, believe!"

Through the glass
I'd watch you breathe
("Not even eternity")
Bound and drowned
And paler than you've ever been
("will hold Houdini!")

With your life
The only thing in my mind
We pull you from the water

You ("Hou-di-ni")
And I and Rosabel believe

Songwriters: Kate Bush
Houdini lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC


With this Kiss, I Pass The Key - A Musical Monday Mix for 1811.26

1. Kate Bush - "This Woman's Work"
2. Kate Bush - "The Dreaming"
3. Kate Bush - "Houdini"
4. Kate Bush "Waking The Witch"
5. Kate Bush - "Jig Of Life"
6. Kate Bush - "Hello Earth"
7. Kate Bush - "Cloudbusting + int + Running Up That Hill" - FANTASTICO 1985
8. This Mortal Coil - "Song To The Siren"
9. Kate Bush - "Hounds of Love"
10 . Anne-Marie - "Do It Right"
11. Mogwai - "Ether"
12. Kate Bush - "Pull Out The Pin"
13. Kate Bush - "The Big Sky"
14. Kate Bush - "Night Of The Swallow"
15. Kate Bush - "Eat The Music"
16. Cocteau Twins - "Carolyn's Fingers"
17. Tori Amos - "Crucify"
18. Kate Bush - "Suspended in Gaffa"
19. Kate Bush - "The Sensual World"

























































VIDEO POD PLAYERS FOR THIS ENTIRE MIX





+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1811.26 _ 10:10

- Days ago = 1241 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: