Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, December 14, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1393 - Bechdel Test and other feminist tropes in SF and Assorted Media

http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/the-rule
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1393 - Bechdel Test and other feminist tropes in SF and Assorted Media

So once again the Internet was busy doing its Internet thing when I wasn't looking.

So last weekend, I met some cool nerds (mostly Star Trek nerds) at Doug Fir, a bar in Portland. The event was put together by new friend Dawn Goodson (see post below), and attending were Spock lookalike and actor Topher, Godiva Lee, and Merecedes Salles.

I met more officially Godiva Lee, who does a radio show for KBOO FM, which happens to be basically next door to Doug Fir. I know it's an odd name for a bar but work with me here; I am sure there is an actual tree called a Doug Fir, but I have not bothered to look.



So we get talking about nerdy things because that's what nerds do, and Godiva proposes that Stranger Things from Netflix may not pass the Bechdel Test.

This term "Bechdel Test" rings my bell, but I can't place it.

Godiva looks things up on her phone.

"You know, Allison Bechdel."

Again, the bell in my head rings, and I say "didn't she write Fun Home?"

Godiva doesn't know.

I also mention BITCH MEDIA because if we're discussing a feminist criticism of popular culture, that's a go-to and it's in Portland, but I am not sure if she knows that either, but it could have been the whiskey. It was a muddled conversation, though Doug Fir was not loud and we were in the lounge by the fire, which was very nice.

So, Godiva finds an image and I make notes on my phone for future reference AND THIS IS that future reference. :-)

And so this... http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/the-rule


http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/the-rule
Another version...

https://www.dailyserving.com/2015/11/bechdel-test-movie-night-foxy-brown/

A video.



I like this site.

http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/

Bechdel's graphic interface is cool, so I copied it.


Anyway, I learned (or maybe re-learned) about the Bechdel Test, and now I am keen to have more conversations with Godiva about all the tropes for criticizing SF or just explore more here.

And it's kinda my thing, making with the feminist interpretations, that's why it surprised me that Godiva totally caught me off guard with this stuff. And now I have new things to read an ponder, especially since the vet tech I just talked to was sporting an Ariel, Little Mermaid tattoo and was asking me about my teaching, and so I did not spoil one of her favorite movies... but again, more to explore.

Other tropes:

BORN SEXY YESTERDAY

I must investigate more "tropes."

TROPE LAUNCH PAD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1812.14 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1259 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: