Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, August 6, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1263 - INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT - IN MEMORY OF WAX TRAX - a Musical Monday for 1808.06

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1263 - INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT - IN MEMORY OF WAX TRAX -  a Musical Monday for 1808.06

The week before last I was writing about how the ways I discover new music has changed since the advent of the real and true, we're-always-on-it Internet (not that dial up crap) and that led me to think of the great Wax Trax, the first big city (Chicago) MUSIC STORE that I found that opened my eyes, mind, and ears to a wide array of new music, things I did not know existed. As I investigated the history of Wax Trax, which can be found online, I learned that -- HOLD THE FREAKING PHONE!! -- there's a WAX TRAX DOCUMENTARY FILM. It's not available for purchase in a digital form (yet) and is still making the rounds in special engagements and festivals, but it's out and I WANT TO SEE IT.

So, two weeks ago when I learned these facts, I promised a Wax Trax Musical Monday mix, but it took me two weeks to create it because I was distracted with childhood music nostalgia and last week's David Cassidy themed mix.




Here's the Wax Trax mix, and here's how I created what I have created. DAMN, as usual, You Tube is amazingly helpful.

But first, here's the link to the films company and some text from my previous posting.

WAX TRAX FILMS


From -

http://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2018/07/a-sense-of-doubt-blog-post-1249-dengue.html


Browsing record stores ranks second because these businesses featured glittery, densely-packed displays of albums with cool cover art or names of artists that grabbed my attention. I found Peter Gabriel this way. I had no idea who he was, but I bought his first solo album purely on the strength of the album art. Soon after, I bought the third one, too. The first time I went to Wax Trax in Chicago (also this one - WIKI) was like scaling the stairs to heaven. I found Cabaret Voltaire, Neu, Can, Throbbing Gristle, Killing Joke, TuxedoMoon, the Residents among others with visits to this store, but I also found the bands produced by the Wax Trax label, such as Meat Beat Manifesto, Ministry, KMFDM, Front 242, and many others. Hey!!!! There's a Wax Trax documentary!!!!!!!! More on this next week.






Many of the images featured taken from - 












Did you watch that promo video for the film??

Good stuff.

I used the Wiki that lists the DISCOGRAPHY to assemble this mix. I started with the earliest releases by the Wax Trax label, such as Ministry's Cold Life and a Brian Eno ep, which was the first ever release featuring "The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)"  and "Seven Deadly Finns"; it's amazing that You Tube offers videos of these tracks, too.

Though the second cut is also from the very early period of first ten Wax Trax releases -- Front 242 "Controversy Between" from Endless Riddance, I did not remain chronological in my arrangement and choices. I also have a couple of tracks from outside the Wax Trax label, such as the Cabaret Voltaire "Sluggin' for Jesus," which is one of the first albums I bought at Wax Trax and my very first Cabaret Voltaire album. I also came across a really great little video of supposedly the first ever "techno" performance by Kraftwerk in Germany in 1970.

I tried to assemble a good selection of cuts from all of the main (or what I perceive as main) Wax Trax bands before repeating, so in addition to Ministry and Front 242, I added tracks by Revolting Cocks, Meat Beat Manifesto, Front Line Assembly, KMFDM, Coil, and My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult before I start repeats with three in a row by Psychic TV and then some of the other bands before closing with two tracks by Ministry, including the ever popular "Everyday Is Halloween."


I am proud of the way this mix came together. I referred to the music as "punk," but it's so much more than how punk is often narrowly defined. New Wave and Industrial are also inaccurate labels. The music really crosses genres and defies description and explanation.

Following, you will find a track list, the videos individually, and a final embedded video link that gives access to the entire playlist as does this URL - PLAYLIST URL.


INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENT - IN MEMORY OF WAX TRAX
- A MIX FOR THE STORE LABEL'S MUSIC AND THE MUSIC I DISCOVERED THERE
- MUSICAL MONDAY FOR 1808.06



1. Ministry - "Cold Life" - 5:09
2. Front 242 - "Controversy Between" - (1983)- 3:31
3. Cabaret Voltaire - "Sluggin' fer Jesus - pt1&2" - 9:20
4. Brian Eno - "The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)" - 2:57
5. Brian Eno - "Seven Deadly Finns" - 3:14
6. Front Line Assembly - "Conflict" - 5:38
7. Revolting Cocks - "No Devotion" - Live - 12:07
8. Meat Beat Manifesto - "God O.D." - 7:37
9. KMFDM - "More and Faster" - 3:37
10. My Life With The Thrill Kill Cult - "Kooler Than Jesus" - wax trax 1990 - 6:16
11. Coil - "Love's Secret Domain" - 3:53
12. Psychic TV - "Towards Thee Infinite Beat - Horror House" - 6:11
13. Psychic TV - "Infinite Beat" - 7:55
14. PSYCHIC TV - "I.C WATER (Re-Edited Video Version)" - 8:50
15. Front 242 - "Lovely Day"  from NO COMMENT - 5:26
16. Kraftwerk 1970 - "first" techno - 3:30
17. Meat Beat Manifesto - "Re-Animator, Pt.1" - 6:04
18. Revolting Cocks - "Big Sexy Land" - 3:59
19. Front 242 - "Quite Unusual" - 3:45
20. Ministry - "Nature Of Love [Cruelty Mix]" - 6:46
21. Ministry - "Everyday Is Halloween" - 6:32







































































VIDEO LINK TO ENTIRE PLAYLIST



+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1808.06 - 10:10

- Days ago = 1129 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.


No comments: