Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1111 - First Haircut - February 1963 - Throwback Thursday 1808.30


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1111 - First Haircut - February 1963 - Throwback Thursday 1808.30

Hi Mom,

Hodge Podge.

Gallimaufry.

Meaning, this post is a true assortment of ends and odds.

It's been a big week. Since I last wrote, I was hired to teach part time (one class) at Concordia University in Portland (see pictures and social media posts below), and I taught my first two classes already. Though the second class is tomorrow, Friday, if you go by the date and time on this blog without the knowledge that I post backwards in time often. This is my first time back in the class room since I moved, over a year ago.

I did HR stuff at two schools because I also was hired to teach at Lower Columbia College but those classes do not start until September 18th.

The week has been a scramble of prep and grading.

Here's the week in pictures, posts, ends, and odds.

I promise to be more chatty next week, Mom.


Cryptonomicon - by Neal Stephenson

This is one of Stephenson's best books, by far. I kept thinking of Pynchon's _Gravity's Rainbow_ as I read it probably because of the similar WWII time period. _Cryptonomicon_ is worth a read if only for the fictionalization of Alan Turing and the cryptoworld of both WWII but also the modern day of the time of the book's publication in 1999. Stephenson predicts the current cyptocurrency trends admirably. This book has been on my shelf for almost 20 years, and I finally completed it via audio. Narrator William Dufris is a tour de force and well known to audio listeners for his work in other SF, such as books by Scalzi, Asimov, and other Stephenson among about 400 others. If you love historical based fiction with an SF flare (because this is not really SF at all), you will love this book. But it's a beast.  Almost 1000 pages and over 40 hours of audio. But it's worth it!


FROM A FRIEND -

Quote of the Day: “Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.” ~George Carlin



BANDCAMP WEEKLY FOR 1808.28



GREAT NEW COMIC!! Previews and more goodies at this link.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/08/visit-these-savage-shores-in-this-exclusive-previe.html


























https://www.cbr.com/marvel-marie-severin-stroke/












https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/two-in-three-americans-say-public-school-teachers-are-underpaid/2018/08/27/cddf5b6a-a953-11e8-b1da-ff7faa680710_story.html?utm_term=.d5d0f9b30584






OUT AND ABOUT

I like this corner...




A future breakfast destination...



THE PDX COMIC TOUR CONTINUES











Hey look!! Loco Moco at Noho's by Cloud Nine at Clinton and 26th







CONCORDIA UNIVERSITY

I am teaching in the library, and they prepared for my visit with a SF and comic book display.




















Noodle likes to nap with the laundry.



OHSU





I might buy a new stereo?


at Clinton and 26th

Note the three Herb Alpert albums all in a row.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1153 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1808.30 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: