Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1104 - Zorro at the Beach! Throwback Thursday for 1808.02


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1104 - Zorro at the Beach! Throwback Thursday for 1808.02

Hi Mom,

So, I am cheating. I am writing this entry and posting it (I hope) from the air using Delta wifi from an air bus headed to Atlanta where I catch a connecting flight to Detroit, Michigan for a week long stay in my original home state. I am reasonably comfortable and listening to the Cubs game. I did some work, caught up on some email correspondence, and now I am writing to you, Mom. I had already set up all these visuals in this entry, which is what the majority of the entry will be -- recent photos and Instagrams. I am not sure how robust my wifi signal is right now as everyone around me is pulling bandwidth, but so far, it has done everything I have wanted it to do. I even had some credits for access paid ahead, which was fortunate.

So, Mom, help me remember that the next time I decided to fly out of Portland on a Saturday that I want to get to the airport MORE than two hours ahead. It would be easier for me if I did not check my bag. But I like to check my bag. I hate the scramble people make for overhead bins, and usually I have just a bit more than I could get in a reasonable sized carry on. Though, that said, I am packing more lightly than usual, especially when I visit my Dad, knowing I can do laundry.

The airport was a zoo. I heard that Delta had three people call in sick, and so they were under-manned. I stood in line for over an hour before a smart Delta person came around and extracted all the people on the Atlanta flight for fear we would miss it. By comparison, the security line and procedure was a breeze, and I am hoping to be TSA preferred as I usually am on the way back.

I have had worse times getting out for a trip. I am getting better at packing and situating things the day before. The day before, I finished work, mowed the lawn, did chores, walked the dogs, and even went to Longview to take my wife to lunch. Now that was helped by running only two classes for one school right now and not three or four classes for two schools.

Hence my trip back to my original home. Now is a good time. One school is on break for two weeks, so I have a lighter load. I will have to render final grades for another school while in Michigan, but I did that in San Diego three months ago while waiting for my flight.

I know, I know, my conversation here is not too thrilling. There is a little girl seated next to me, who just cried for ten minutes or so until someone brought her a can of Pringles. I couldn't here because of the Cubs game and now music, which is this...



I saw a Twitter message from Warren Ellis recommending this music while in line at the airport, forwarded it to my email, and now I am streaming it. I like it. It's just the right thing for this flight and the post Cubs game sound barrier I must erect around me.

I was glad they have in flight meals to buy. I purchased a chicken harissa wrap.

I had planned to work on my blog (this) while in flight, as I want to get ahead for my trip, which is another reason I will turn this over to just pictures soon. Also, my battery is draining because the outlet at my seat is loose and I cannot plug in my laptop. I hope to find power during my lay over, though I may try my Anker battery. Hmmmm, no. I may need a special adapter.

I also wanted to do some coding here in the air on this or the next flight. I have been working on Python (as the photo below indicates), I also have cloned the repo for a Javascript program a friend of mine wrote and I need to learn and work on refactoring. I also wanted to review many of my programs and put them on Git Hub, starting with all of my C programs, which are comment heavy, so I need to strip out a lot of the comments I wrote for my own learning process. I was also planning to make more progress with FREE CODE CAMP curriculum. So there's that.

And when I return from Michigan, JOB SEARCH, big time.

For now, I believe this will conclude the straight text portions of my Throwback and letter to you today, Mom. Isn't that a great picture up top? Zorro at the Beach! I suspect that's Long Lake in Traverse City, but I am not sure.

Until next week, Mom, here's some recent photos and such with a few comments.


RECENT INSTAGRAM ACTIVITY









RECENT PHOTOS

MY MAIN SUMMER SNACK, THANKS TO YOU, MOM



BREAKFAST! (coffee not pictured)



WHAT IS THIS BUG?


photographed at co-lab on Broadway in Vancouver July 23 2018


ELLORY QUEEN loves being outside



And so, we did some hiking, with the dogs



Burrito Time!! Street food in downtown Vancouver 1808.01






Hey, look, Ma!! I found a new park that's NOT on the Google map!




This is the Columbia River. The park is off Dike Access Road in Woodland.







OHSU - PORTLAND IN THE SKY

Okay, my fear of heights is official, not that I doubted it. I had trouble approaching the edge of the landing at the sky tram access despite the high, concrete barrier.

That's Mt. Hood in the distance. A zoomed photo follows.



That's how high up we were.






I LOVE THIS SCULPTURE!!







The Turtle is cool, too.




Produce Row Cafe - Portland

204 SE Oak street, Portland



THIS COOL MURAL can be found somewhere along MLK Boulevard. 




Lots of pictures of Satchel!!

Satchel enjoys being outside, but she is smart enough to stay in the shade when she gets hot. Ellory is still learning this wisdom.











Sisters who love each other...




Note to self: try this restaurant in Portland.

Compact Balkan restaurant dishing up regional food & drink specialties in a basic setup.
Address829 SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Blvd, Portland, OR 97214





Take Liesel here. It's on Fourth Plain BLVD in Vancouver.



Lately, Ultimate has been played amid sprinklers - #Summertime #HazelDellUltimate #Vancouver




+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you, Mom.

I miss you so very much, Mom.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 1125 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1808.02 - 10:10

NEW (written 1708.27) NOTE on time: I am now in the same time zone as Google! So, when I post at 10:10 a.m. PDT to coincide with the time of your death, Mom, I am now actually posting late, so it's really 1:10 p.m. EDT. But I will continue to use the time stamp of 10:10 a.m. to remember the time of your death, Mom. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom.

No comments: