Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Friday, August 24, 2018

A Sense of Doubt blog post #1281 - The FANTASTIC FOUR are back!!

1808.14
A Sense of Doubt blog post #1281 - The FANTASTIC FOUR are back!!

Since April of 2015, I have felt a great loss, a hole in my life, an emptiness that was not being filled. But hey, not just mother who died in JULY of 2015.

No, I mean the Fantastic Four. My first family of the comic books, the World's Greatest Comic Magazine, the heart and soul of my comic book experience. One of three titles -- Titans and Legion being the others -- that I know I am will not sell off or trade in.

The Fantastic Four are back.

Thank goodness.

So, this cover...

I love Esad Ribic, but this cover is all wrong for the Fantastic Four. It's a beautiful image but not for my beloved team.

In examining various reviews, it looks like the lowest score given was a 6/10 with five of the 36 reviews at 10/10.

I have heard fan grumbling against Dan Slott. Personally, I don't see it. I have really enjoyed what he did with Amazing Spider-Man.

One LONG review posted at COMIC BOOK REVOLUTION felt that the book was great for long time fans but that new fans should wait an get on board with issue #2.

Okay, so?

Isn't the fan base mostly long time fans? Isn't it likely that a relaunch after a three year hiatus will bring back older fans who had not kept up with the book and harken for the days of Stan and Jack or of Roy Thomas and Joe Sinnott or of George Perez or of John Byrne.

Slott and Pichelli give fans a feast of favorites, like Wyatt Wingfoot, Crystal, and Alicia Masters among others.

There's a funny memory recounted in flashback, kittens, a marriage proposal, and a Mets game. What more could any ever-lovin' blue-eyed, Aunt Petunia bred real frantic one ask for?

And just as Johnny Storm, the most hopeful and idealistic of them all, abandons his hope and gives into his grief, the signal flares, the real one this time, from Reed, Sue, and the kids who are alive after all. Of course they are.

This reviewer for COMIC BOOK REVOLUTION writes: "Fantastic Four #1 should have been more appropriately titled “Fantastic Four: Prelude.” Because that is all this issue is: just a teaser for the next issue which is the real Fantastic Four #1 issue. Outside of Ben proposing to Alicia, absolutely nothing happens in this issue."

This is a very typical statement from fans given the expectations that comics have set up in their history. What the reviewer has failed to grasp is that these family interactions, these Mets games, these kittens, these memories of the good times (Johnny's the best singer on the team) is what the FF is all about.

There's a reason why this splash page  (left) is one of my favorites of all time. (from Silver Surfer (1968 series) #5 (April 1969), script by Stan Lee, pencils by John Buscema, inks by Sal Buscema, letters by Sam Rosen)




This is what the Fantastic Four are all about. They are about life and living.

Was this the most riveting and pulse pounding issue of all time? No. Was it a good return for the FF, did it throttle the anticipation? Yes. Slott is wise to prolong the re-introduction of the entire team. The Thing-Torch series had done some of this ground work but not in an FF comic itself.

Here's a bunch of links, some to my previous content and some to reviews and then the variant cover gallery, but first a snippet from a review that earned 10/10.



FROM -
https://henchman4hire.com/2018/08/11/hench-sized-comic-book-reviews-8-11-18/

Comic Rating: 10/10 – Fantastic.

What can I say, this issue had a really good moment there at the end. When Johnny starts screaming to the heavens about a sign, but then returns to his friends, tears in his eyes, ready to finally accept the truth, I really felt my emotions stirring. It was touching. It was emotional. Slott, along with Pichelli’s phenomenal art, really got me. And then when Reed went ahead and delivered that true signal, that they were still alive and there was still hope, that was damn good, too! The Fantastic Four aren’t reunited in the first issue of their new series, and I’m perfectly fine with that. But Slott and his art team really deliver a powerful, hopeful message for what’s to come.
The rest of the issue, and the emotions involved, are really good, too. Sarah Pichelli draws an amazing Thing!

Fantastic Four - 2018 - Comic Book Roundup - reviews


Fantastic Four vol. 5 - COMIC VINE




THE FOLLOWING CONTENT FROM -

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #1017 - The Fantastic Four RETURN!


FANTASTIC FOUR RESOURCES 





FANTASTIC FOUR WIKIPEDIA

The Wiki entry contains a great examination of who created the Fantastic Four Stan then Jack, Jack then Stan, or both Stan and Jack concurrently. It's worth a look if you're interested. I have too much content on this page to explore it at this time. :-)

...and just because.... (actually I might add my own review of this one later).

Oh, how I have missed you First Family. It's Clobberin' Time!!

Here's two links to some of my previous FANTASTIC FOUR content in case this entry is not enough reading for you.

MY OLDEST -
 http://sensedoubt.blogspot.com/2017/03/hey-mom-talking-to-my-mother-624-my.html

MY MAIN FANTASTIC FOUR POST - 
http://365-tshirts.blogspot.com/2014/02/t-shirt-344-fantastic-four-logo-printed.html

I wish there was more advance art released so far. So, to compensate, I am going to pull some cover art out and end with a gallery, but I am going to do it by grabbing some content that I don't currently have saved to my hard drive.

Some background and then the aforementioned NY Times article by my friend George.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/29/the-fantastic-four-return-to-marvel-comics

The currently running Marvel 2-in-1 series features Thing and Human Torch searching for Mister Fantastic and Invisible Woman and their children, so it looks like they will be successful in their mission. That series will continue to run alongside Fantastic Four.

and http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/24/fantastic-four-reboot/

COVER GALLERY


Here's most of the variant covers. I left out a few.






























+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1808.21 - 10:10

- Days ago =  1145 days ago

- New note - On 1807.06, I ceased daily transmission of my Hey Mom feature after three years of daily conversations. I plan to continue Hey Mom posts at least twice per week but will continue to post the days since ("Days Ago") count on my blog each day. The blog entry numbering in the title has changed to reflect total Sense of Doubt posts since I began the blog on 0705.04, which include Hey Mom posts, Daily Bowie posts, and Sense of Doubt posts. Hey Mom posts will still be numbered sequentially. New Hey Mom posts will use the same format as all the other Hey Mom posts; all other posts will feature this format seen here.

No comments: