Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #232 - One Photo - Backyard Baseball


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #232 - One Photo - Backyard Baseball

Hi Mom, Me again, Or rather, "Hello, it's me." Song lyric. Some of you may know it.

Baseball's spring training has begun in Florida, and so I pulled this picture out of the family archive.
Dad (the Big Guy) has it labeled as "Norm Cash Day 1971," but this is not right. The other photos in that archive show me at Tigers Stadium on what must have been Norm Cash Day in 1971, when I was nine years old and seriously into Baseball. This photo may be from 1971, but it cannot be the same day.

If you cannot spot me, look upper right, that's me. Farthest away, and it looks like I am pulling my pants up. This is the backyard of our Hazelwood house, and from this angle, there's nothing I can use to verify the date of the photo. But 1971 is probably right. I am not sure who all these kids are, but I do remember some backyard Baseball. In one instance, and I am sure you remember Mom, I hit a line drive come backer that nailed the pitcher in the mouth. I think it was Tom Owen, the next door neighbor. So these kids are likely all the neighbors: the Owens, the Wolfs, the Swansons, and Sue McCrumb, who is likely one of the girls we can see. I suspect that the girl leaning against the tree is Laurie Wolf, though I am not sure of the spelling of her name.

Anyway, this post is for Wednesday 1602.24 as I catch up. Same morning, early start time. My program has a null pointer exception error that I cannot figure out. I have done a work around, though, so instead of trying to fill the array from the number of records in the file, I just make arrays of size two because I know I have just two records of each type, book and periodical. The program simulates a library check out system. I know this is not the way to set up the program, but as I work, I am more interested in coding the whole thing and ensuring that it works. I can always go back and re-design. As I am trying to set up check out dates, I hit another null pointer error. There are NOT supposed to be null pointer errors in Java because there are not supposed to be pointers, but there are because the computer uses pointers. I know you have no idea what this all means, Mom (and many readers), but I just want to write it down.

I have Java lab at 10:30. Liesel and I decide Satchel will stay home because we're getting a huge snow storm, and Liesel does not plan to drive in it (and she would need to pick up Satchel). Plus. she's very ill with the cold, flu, sinus bug thing I have, but she is really hit with it whereas I am functional for at least 11-12 hours each day.

I go to lab, and it's another sprint to finish a crazily complicated lab report on a program I have just seen for the first time and do not have time to think about and digest. Afterwards, I slam some food in the cafeteria and then meet with my TA, who tries to help me solve the null pointer error with the arrays. She is unable to help, though she tries very hard. I manage to beg and receive an extension as the program is due tonight, Wednesday, freeing me to be a bit less stressed and actually work for my job.

I go home and blast like a rocket through daily work and half the CTU discussion grades(1;45-3:30), which are also due tonight, Wednesday. Then it's off to the class I teach (4-5), in which I instruct the students on thesis statements and get them ready for the essay they are writing for next week. I have been photographing the wipe board each day, so I may post an archive of those at some point just for fun. Class goes well, and despite the large amount of snow cascading down from the sky, all the students show up, all five of them.

After class I have a tutoring appointment with Anthony, but he's late, so the whole thing runs 5-7ish. We work derivatives to get me ready for the Calculus quiz on Friday. Liesel calls and wants me to go buy her Nyquil, as she feels crappy. I do so, but there's so much snow that when I try enter the Wallgreen's parking lot, I hit a divider that I cannot see as it's buried in snow.

Then it's home, slam some food, left overs, and to bed. In bed, I am PRAYING for a snow day tomorrow while trying to stay awake to watch the Pistons beat the 76ers. I fail to make it through the fourth quarter.

But as for that snow day, guess what....? (continued tomorrow...)

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 234 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1602.24 - 10:10


NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: