Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #237 - Personal, a book review



Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #237 - Personal, a book review

Hi Mom,

It's time for another book review. I actaully READ-read this one as opposed to listening to the audio.

Dad has been reading Lee Child for a few years now, and he has given his books high recommendations. I had added it to my to-do list to read one, but what finally put me over the edge was this bit in a Warren Ellis newsletter back in August of 2015.

And so, that's two people that I respect a lot telling me to read Lee Child: my Dad and Warren Ellis.

I tend to steer clear of super popular novels with a few exceptions. The Harry Potter books were without a doubt deserving of all the hype. Also, I love Stephen King. He's often self-indulgent (IE. The Dark Tower) but so am I, so I can relate. But other stuff? Dreck. James Patterson? Terrible. I am all right with Dean Koontz as he has some skill. Not over fond of John Grisham. Well, you get the idea.

So I was wary of best seller list topper Lee Child. I did not try to plumb the depths and try to start with the first book. They're not exactly in a series, but they do relate to one another.

Personal was my first one, and I liked it. I agree with Warren. Child is a master carpenter. Tight dialogue, tight description, and the plot moves. For this one, it stalled a bit in the middle, but then, I read sporadically, and so it could have been my on for a night and off for three or four sort of slowness that made the book seem slow. Dad promised that main character Jack Reacher always sleeps with the female sidekick character, but not in this one, so I kept reading for the sex scene that never arrived.

So I liked it, but my feeling that this is not one of his best is echoed in the reviews: see Amazon link.

Warren got a kick out of it because of the local flavor. Me, not so much.

But I liked it enough to try another though my current reading and audio book reading stacks are very high right now. I will try another, but I am not sure when.

PERSONAL - WIKI

PERSONAL - AMAZON

Reflect and connect.

Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 239 days ago

- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1602.29 - 10:10 ET (time stamp will show 7:10 today)

NOTE on time: When I post late, I had been posting at 7:10 a.m. because Google is on Pacific Time, and so this is really 10:10 EDT. However, it still shows up on the blog in Pacific time. So, I am going to start posting at 10:10 a.m. Pacific time, intending this to be 10:10 Eastern time. I know this only matters to me, and to you, Mom. But I am not going back and changing all the 7:10 a.m. times. But I will run this note for a while. Mom, you know that I am posting at 10:10 a.m. often because this is the time of your death.

No comments: