Hey, Mom! The Explanation.

Here's the permanent dedicated link to my first Hey, Mom! post and the explanation of the feature it contains.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #145 - Playing D&D


Hey, Mom! Talking to My Mother #145 - Playing D&D

Hi Mom,

Okay, actually, PATHFINDER, not D&D. Pretty much D&D, but geekier.

So, I played Pathfinder today, Sunday, and I am now writing this from the future.

I have a crew of guys I know from K-College and WMU and a GM who I met through a friend of my wife's plus one guy I met via the co-op. Quite the hodge of podge but a good crew nonetheless.

We had not played since April, so we were all very rusty and it showed. Our of almost 25 adventures, this was our first failure. We botched it pretty badly, and I did most of the key botching. But we all had fun and scratched the gamer itch a bit with our play.

I know this is not of great interest to you, Mom, though you always supportive of my playing this game and hosted a few sessions, especially near the tail end of high school, including my very first ever game with Steve Curl.

But for other readers, Pathfinder is basically just a revised version of the 3.5 edition of Dungeons and Dragons, published by TSR. In 1997 Wizards of the Coast bought TSR, and in 2003, it issued the game as "open license," meaning that other companies or individuals could release products related to its latest 3.5 version of the game. In 2009, the Paizo company released Pathfinder, which is a revised version of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5. It is the preferred game system by many hardcore and longtime gamers, Though my friend Tom and I still prefer Dungeons and Dragons 2.0 (even inheriting some old rules from 1.0), I play Pathfinder with the group of guys who regularly convene at various houses.

The big three lessons from Sunday were as follows:


  1. Do not use a Shocking Grasp attack spell in lieu of talking my way out of being arrested by anti-religion, Gestapo like city guard.
  2. Check for invisibility and any other ways to hide the prisoner we are sent to rescue before launching fireballs into a large room just to attack adversaries I have not yet seen and assessed. Crispy corpses are not the preferred state for rescues.
  3. PLAN. Do not waltz blithely into a heavily guarded compound full of extra-planar creatures, assorted demons, and spellcasters without serious reconnaissance, defensive preparations and safe-guards, and a series of offensive aids to help with combat.
In the end, we were lucky to make it out alive. I had two hit points left (of 61 total).


Have someone give you a kiss, and tell you that I love you.

Talk to you tomorrow, Mom.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

- Days ago = 147 days ago


- Bloggery committed by chris tower - 1511.29 - 10:10
and again 1512.03 - 7:58

No comments: